KATZ PINOT NOIR VINEGAR Single Vineyard, Napa Valley 375 ml. $14
There are no shortcuts to making handcrafted vinegar.
The release of our new KATZ Pinot Noir Vinegar, Napa Valley, represents our first “Single Vineyard” designation. These are very limited lots of grapes that are all grown in one provenance highlighting a single varietal.
This vinegar comes from 100% Pinot Noir grapes harvested from the world-renowned Oak Knoll region in the heart of the Napa Valley. I was fortunate to strike up a friendship with a highly respected winemaker from the area, and I mentioned to him that if he ever had some small production wine that he could part with, I would like to try converting it to vinegar and maintaining the integrity of the varietal. We have been in touch over the years and he has generously sent me some samples along the way, and this bottling represents our first joint effort!
About the Taste and Flavor: The first batches of this vinegar have been aging in neutral oak barrels for nearly a year using the very “Slow” Orleans Method. The vinegar highlights classic Pinot Noir with notes of tart berries, plum and even pomegranate with hints of sweet spice. It is nicely balanced with a backbone of crisp acidity.
Slow Food Ark of Taste Statement: Though scientific advances have made large-scale production of vinegars fast and easy, it is the handcrafted Orleans Method that allows for the most full-bodied and nutrient-rich wine vinegars. Unlike most modern vinegar making, which is based on rapid, forced fermentation, the Orleans Method requires the vinegar to age for months in small oak barrels. As a consequence of this extensive process, very little commercial production of the vinegar exists in the US.
Please Note: Any sediment that may settle on the bottom of your bottle is a sign of the natural, handcrafted process in which the vinegar was made and can be simply filtered through a strainer, if you like, and poured back into the bottle.
USES IN THE KITCHEN
The clean and balanced flavor of this vinegar will enhance many dishes as well as providing a pleasant but solid core of acidity. Some suggestions:
- Try our Pinot Noir Vinaigrette! It is nice and crisp with finely chopped shallot and garlic, mustard, salt, herbs of choice (dried or fresh) pepper, and KATZ Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- For depth of flavor add to pasta sauces, marinades and dressings
- Perfect drizzled over avocados with fleur de del, black pepper and KATZ Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Make a simple sauce for grilled lamb chops or flank steak
- Add to green lentil salad with garlic, parsley, thyme, gently sautéed aromatics (carrots, onion and celery or fennel) and KATZ Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Our Seared Pork Tenderloin W/KATZ Pinot Noir Vinegar & Honey Sauce...please see this yummy recipe!